Green Tomato Chutney Recipe
Heat treatment time
- 1.3 kg (3 lb) green tomatoes, finely chopped
- 675 g (11⁄2 lb) cooking apples, peeled cored and finely chopped
- 675 g (11⁄2 lb) onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 575 ml (20 fl oz) malt vinegar 350 g (12 oz) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground mixed spice
- 225 g (8 oz) sultanas
Number of servingsn/a
Le Parfait Jam Jar
- Put the tomatoes, apples and onions in a large bowl and sprinkle over the salt. Cover and leave overnight.
- The next day, pour off the liquid that has been drawn out by the salt and discard it. Transfer everything to a large preserving pan. Add the vinegar, bring to the boil and then add the sugar, spice and sultanas.
- Bring back to the boil and simmer until soft and pulpy, about 11⁄2 hours.
- Spoon into cooled, sterilised jars, seal label.
- Store for 6–8 weeks before using.
Recipes taken from The Women's Institute Homemade Jams and Chutneys by Midge Thomas. Published by Simon & Schuster, priced £12.99.