Recipe Red currant jelly
IngredientsNumber of persons: Several
- Wash the red fruits and destemm them. Collect the lemon juice.
- Cook the grains for 10 minutes with a little water and lemon juice until they burst (you can add vanilla pods if you wish to soften the acidity).
- Pass everything through a vegetable mill or potato masher, then through cheesecloth (thin cloth) to recover as much juice as possible, weigh 1kg.
- Pour the redcurrant juice and sugar into the jam basin. Mix and bring to a boil. From this moment, count the cooking time: 7 minutes with gelling sugar, otherwise 15 to 20 minutes with caster sugar.
- Maintain a high heat and stir your fruit jelly often. Check the cooking by pouring a few drops onto a cold plate then tilting the plate. The jam should flow slowly.
- Skim off if necessary and proceed without delay to potting your redcurrant jam. Close them and turn them over for 1 minute, then put them right side up to let them cool.