Recipe Mushroom Confit
IngredientsNumber of persons: 4
- Wash the jars and sterilise the rubber seals or sealing disks. It is not necessary to rinse shop bought oyster mushrooms. Wild mushrooms like ceps or chanterelle should be cleaned with a wet cloth and have the soil scraped off of them using a small knife.
- If necessary, split or cut the largest mushrooms into 2 or 3 pieces so all of the mushroom pieces are a similar size. Ceps can be very large so you may have to cut them in wedges, but try to keep their lovely shape.
- Peel the onion, chop it in half then cut it into paper-thin slices. Crush the garlic with the flat side of the knife.
- On a very low heat, melt the fat in a large sauce pan, then add the mushrooms, onions slices, thymes leaves, salt & pepper, and garlic. Slowly bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the vinegar, cook for another 5 minutes then remove from the heat. Scoop out the mushrooms from the mixture and add them to the jar first then complete with the fat mix, up to the maximum level indicated on the jar.
- The jars should then be heat treated for 45 minutes. For more information about heat treatment please consult this section.
Enjoy cold as an antipasti on toast, bring a jar to your next picnic, or serve warm with a roast. Do not discard the fat, you can use it to roast your potatoes.
Estelle & Vincent
Follow us on X (Twitter) @EstelleVincentC