Number of servingsSeveral
- First, let’s read the how to guide to learn everything about fermentation!
- Put the seeds in a jar (such as a Le Parfait screw-top jar) and pour in the water. Add the sugar, dried fig and fruit. Cover with gauze, and fix using an elastic band. The sugar can be white sugar, demerara, brown sugar, muscovado, etc. but not sweeteners like stevia, aspartame or xylitol.
- Leave to ferment for 24-48 hours at room temperature until the fig rises to the surface.
- When the fig has risen to the top, remove the fruit and the fig (the citrus fruits can be squeezed into the drink)
- Strain through a fine sieve to collect the kefir seeds, allowing the liquid to pass through.
- Put the drink in a strong bottle with a metal lid and rubber seal. Keep the bottle closed for another 24 hours at room temperature for extra fizz, store in the fridge and enjoy chilled.
The kefir becomes fizzier the longer you leave it. It keeps for several weeks and becomes more acidic over time.
Note: If your water is chlorinated, it should be left to rest in the open for 1-2 hours to allow the chlorine to evaporate.
From Marie-Claire Frédéric