Sauerkraut with ginger Recipe
Number of servingsSeveral
- First, let’s read the how to guide to learn everything about fermentation!
- Remove the core from the cabbage and put one whole leaf to one side. Finely slice the cabbage and put it in a salad bowl.
- Grate the ginger (for example, using a cheese grater). Mix the salt, ginger and finely sliced cabbage with your fingers.
- Use your fingers to press the mixture down so the juice from the cabbage is released. Let it rest for 5 minutes, and then press it down again to encourage more juice to be released.
- Put the mixture (with its juice) in a mason jar, pressing down firmly to ensure no air is trapped. Ensure you leave about 2cm between the vegetables and the top of the jar. Place the bay leave on top and then the whole cabbage leaf.
- Thoroughly clean the rim.
- Close the jar with the rubber seal in place. Keep it on a small dish (in case any juice escapes) at room temperature and out of direct sunlight.
From Jarres Crues