Red Currant Jam Recipe
- 1.3 kg of red currants (to obtain 1L of red currant juice)
- 1 kg of jam sugar (with pectin) or 1.2 kg of fine caster sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
Number of servings4 servings
Le Parfait Jam Jars
- Rinse, then hull the redcurrants.
- In a jam pan, or large, heavy-based, stainless steel pan, add water and lemon juice to the redcurrants. Cook until the fruits have softened.
- Pass the mixture through a food mill or fine mesh sieve.
- Pour the redcurrant juice and the sugar into a jam pan. Stir and bring to the boil. Once it is at a rolling boil, leave for 7 minutes if you have used a jam sugar, or for 15-20 minutes if you have used a regular sugar.
- Cook over high heat, stirring constantly. Check the cooking by pouring a few drops onto a cold plate and leaning it to one side, the jam should flow slowly down the plate.
- Skim if necessary. Fill the jam jars immediately. Seal tightly and turn the jars upside down.