Heat treatment time
Number of servings8 servings
Le Parfait Familia Wiss 350ml
- Sterilise the jars and the rubber seals or sealing discs.
- Wash the vegetables. Cut the cauliflower into pieces no bigger than ½ an inch. Peel and slice the carrots very thinly. Cut the beans into pieces no bigger than ¼ of an inch. Cut the cucumber lengthways into 6 wedges, and the slice each wedge into pieces no bigger than 3mm.
- Put all the vegetables into a very large bowl with the salt and sugar. Stir well, and put to the side.
- Wash and thinly slice the onions. Then in a large saucepan add the onions, ginger, water, vinegar, turmeric, fenugreek seeds, curry powder, English mustard and wholegrain mustard. Bring to the boil and add the cornflower (the cornflower should be mixed with a bit of water beforehand to obtain a liquid paste). Mix well and cook for 30 seconds then turn off the heat.
- Drain the cured vegetable mix with a sieve and place back into the bowl. Pour the hot onion and ginger mixture into the bowl and add the coriander. Stir well.
- Place the mixture into the jars. Seal the jars and heat treat for 30 minutes (Remember that you should count 30 minutes from boiling point). Leave the jars to cool down while still immersed in water, until the water is at room temperature. Store in a cupboard for up to a year.
Wait 3 weeks for flavours to develop before opening. Traditionally eaten with cold meats, try it also with a smoked mackerel salad.
Estelle & Vincent