Chestnut Spread Recipe
Number of servingsSeveral
1. Peel the chestnuts. To do so, use a knife to cut a deep “x”, then place into boiling water for 5 min. Remove with a slotted spoon, peel off and weigh 1 kg.
2. Place the peeled chestnuts in a large pressure-cooker for 30 min.
3. Drain and purée with a hand masher to achieve a smooth paste. Reserve in the jam pan.
4. In a pot, make a syrup with the sugar and water. When the syrup is boiling, add the vanilla bean cut in half lengthwise and the rum (optional), stir.
5. Add the chestnut purée to the syrup and cook to a rolling boil for 10 minutes stirring constantly.
6. Discard the vanilla pod and ladle the jam into jars. Screw on the lids firmly, then turn the jars upside down for one minute, flip over and allow to cool.