Canned caldeirada (Portuguese fish stew) Recipe
Number of servings4 to 6
- Chop the garlic and onion. Grill the bell pepper for a short time so that it can be easily peeled and then cut it into strips. Place the tomatoes in boiling water to peel them easily, cut into wedges and remove the seeds. Wash and slice the potatoes. Set aside.
- Clean, gut, remove the head and tail and fins of the fish then cut them into sections. Put them in a bowl with 3 tablespoons of olive oil, garlic and bay leaf, then mix.
- Meanwhile, fry the onion and pepper in olive oil (3 tablespoons). Add tomatoes, potatoes and spices. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the fish with its marinade and white wine, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Fill your jars up to 2cm from the rim, close then sterilise at 100°C for 90 minutes.
Extra tip: you can add shellfish or squid to this fish recipe.