Beetroot Curry Recipe
Number of servings16 servings
4 x Le Parfait Super Jars 0.5L
- In a large, non-stick frying pan, fry the shallot in the oil over a low heat until soft.
- Add the paste and cook for 3 minutes, stirring, until the paste darkens slightly.
- Add the beetroot and stir well to coat it in the spices.
- Cover with a lid and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the water or coconut milk.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary with salt and a little more chilli if you like it hot. Scoop off any excess oil with a spoon and discard.
- Spoon into warm, sterilised 500ml or 1 litre jars, leaving 2.5cm headroom, wipe the rims, fasten the lids and process 500ml jars for 35 minutes at 100°C (212°F)
- Store for up to one year in a dark, cool place. Once opened use within 3 days and store in the fridge.
We grow beetroot every year but I had never thought of putting them into a delicious curry before our visit to Sri Lanka. Their earthy sweetness works brilliantly in spicy dishes such as this. I like to serve this with the green bean curry and rice.
From The Gentle Art of Preserving by Katie and Giancarlo Caldesi (Kyle Books: £25)
Photo credit- Chris Terry